Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Liberia, Africa





Another place that is very important for me to visit is Liberia, Africa. I've had the privilege of working with a man at my job that was born and raised in Liberia and came to the United States for a better living opportunity. He was separated from many of his children, brothers, and sisters in a fight to get here and save himself from the conditions he was living in in Liberia. After college my dream is to join the Peace Corps. I want to be stationed in Liberia because the man I have worked with has told me countless times that he owes so much to the Peace Corps because they are the ones that helped him learn English, feed him, clothe him and his family, and prepare him for coming to the United States. He is saving up right now to take a trip back to see many family memeber he hasn't seen in over twenty years. I can't wait to see the pictures he is going to take on his visit back home of his native land, and beautiful family members he misses so dearly. I think it would be a life changing experience to be able to go to Liberia for 2 years and be able to give to other people from this country what my friend is so grateful for everyday. Liberia is a country on the west coast Africa bordered by the Atlantic Ocean. It is unique to Africa because it was colonized by freed American slaves naming the capital Monrovia after the president at the time, James Monroes. I think it is so important for people from this country to help those in dire need in Africa. Every day 40,000 people in Africa die of starvation; fifty percent of those people being under the age of 10 years old. It is absolutely heart breaking that this is going on in the world, and though it may just be a small step in going to Liberia and trying to help the few that a person can, a few can still make a difference.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful plan! I do hope it all works out for you!

    ReplyDelete